Hey, Contemporary Princess! Want to lean into your identity as a daughter of the King?

FREE Gratitude Journal Template!

* indicates required

Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Only Boho Updo You'll Ever Need to Know




     Sometimes, you just feel like:




     

   But you want to feel like:








The best pick-me-up for a day like this (at least for me) is a beautiful updo. I always stand a little taller and feel a little more Lilly Van der Woodsen-y when I wear one. Many people are intimidated by updos, but a lot are actually deceivingly easy. 

This? This is one of the easiest. 
And fastest. 
Seriously, I can do this in like 2 minutes. 

It's also a great hairstyle for 2nd or 3rd day hair. 
I personally like it, because it:

1. gives my hair a break from heat styling 

2. can be casual or dressy

3. takes a fraction of the time it takes to curl or otherwise style my extremely thick, frizzy hair

4. prevents my hair from getting tangled in my jewelry or scarf

5. the messier, the better (You really can't screw it up.)




Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Brush your hair into a low ponytail, but on the last twist of your hair tie, only pull your hair halfway through to create a small loop.

Step 2: Take the remainder of the hair and wrap it around the loop, tucking the ends into the hair tie so that they stay put.

Step 3:Using both hands, slightly part hair above the hair tie, so that you create a small "pocket."

Step 4:Flip the loop up and tuck it inside the little pocket you made. At this point, it should look like a little roll. You may have to do some finagling to make sure it stays inside of the pocket and doesn't flip all the way through, like a topsy tail. Secure with a few bobby pins. 

Step 5: With one of your hands, create a "claw." Take that claw, and pull up on the top portion of your hair to create volume. (It helps to anchor what you've already done with your other hand, to make sure you don't pull out any pins.)

Step 6: Gently pinch and pull all around the undo, to create the volume and texture that you like. Then, bobby pin any loose pieces - especially around the sides of the hair - until you like the look of your updo. Remember, you can get as messy as you'd like. 

Step 7: Finish with with hairspray, and pull out some face-framing pieces if you'd like.

And you're finished!





Seriously, once you try it out a couple of times, you'll be able to throw it together in only a couple of minutes. My favorite part of this hairstyle is that it looks a little different every time. I also like that since it's a little messy, it just looks better throughout the day, as some of the hair around your face falls. 

I was anxious, the first time I tried this, that my thick hair wouldn't work with this style, but I was surprised find that it works just fine! 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! And I hope you love this hairstyle as much as I do. If you try it out (maybe for Valentine's day?), make sure to tag me on Instagram: @thecontemporaryprincess, so I can see your beautiful creation!




No comments:

Post a Comment